Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Training: This is tough

I have been negligent about this topic.  Originally this idea was part of a 5 am brainstorm - so I hadn't totally thought it through.  Plus, my mom was cooking all my meals and letting me take naps which gave me more time to think.  Then I returned home and just realized I am introducing solids, starting potty training and beginning school with my oldest - all at the same time.  Real life has put training on hold - which is sort of the general paradox I face.  I want things to be just right to begin something - and they never will be.  I also want to make everything into a big to-do instead of focusing on the little habits of everyday.  So, I guess I am training - it just doesn't seem as exciting as I had hoped.

So, I wrote one post about lofty goals and realized that I am too much of a utilitarian and believe in formulas.  Fortunately, I read the post at Ordo Amoris and at Circe to help renew my mind.  I am trying to undo this thinking - repent - so I will have to wait on that post for a while.  For now, I think I can safely discuss the strains of thought that I tend to fall victim to - more easily than I expected apparently.

Comfort 

One of the strongest themes I am trying to combat is what Weaver rails against - this idea that comfort brings happiness.  It sounds so nice and pleasant.  It just isn't true.  The sad thing is that, at times, the church even promotes its own version of this lie.  Reading the Bible will show you that the life of ease is not what we are called to.  Not that we seek difficulty intentionally, but that following God's order will not bring us into harmony with the world around us.  When orders clash issues arise but we need to remember

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.   John 16:33
Jane of all trades 

I have also been thinking about the idea of mastery.  In general, our schools promote a wide and shallow curriculum.  There are so many things to know and they come at students in a very disjointed way.  You come out with a smattering of information but no real organization or habits of mind to help you process and use what you have learned.  I am drawn by the Latin Centered Curriculum because it believes in learning a few things to mastery.   I am trying to figure out how to pare down and trust that this is "enough".  It seemed to work for generations before this century - can I trust it though?

The End

Finally, I am thinking about the whole idea of success.  I am constantly struggling with the American ideal of the good life and what a "successful" Christian looks like.  I listened to Steve Breedlove's conference talk "Exhaustion through Rigor" and I identified with it (it is the 4th from the bottom of the list).  He basically wondered why our schools are running after the same goals as every other school - SAT scores, "good" colleges, etc.  Is that what success looks like to God?   Are we all climbing a ladder leaning against the wrong building? How would we re-orient our lives if we were to look like "successful" Christians?  Paul admonishes and says confidently in 2 Timothy

But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.


To train well you do have to begin with the end in mind -right?  I am brought back to N.T. Wright's book After you Believe.  He speaks extensively of how our "forever" occupations will be as priests and kings.  We will worship and we will rule with Christ.  He encourages us to consider how we can begin these vocations now.  Are we training in righteousness?  Are we exploring what it means to worship the King?  Are we willing to be offered?

So, I guess I came back to the big ideas after all - but originally I sounded like I had the answers and I REALLY don't.  I feel like I am asking the right questions but not sure how to make some of the answers play out in my everyday life.  In one of Christopher Perrin's talk he mentioned that very few of us had a real "classical" upbringing and education so we all feel a little at a loss.  That is encouraging. I need to stop moping about what I didn't have (in part because I was given SOO much), buck up and do my best to make that education available to my children.


No comments: