Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Tabernacle Community of Pilgrims

In our church group we often talk about how we are the "transition" home group as people move in, move out, have children, change jobs, buy homes and generally live life together (there are only 10 adults - soon to be 7 kids under 4!). I think I am beginning to realize that life is in the changing, not the staying the same. I like things to be right, good and easy to understand but God is not interested in our own righteouness or our clearly laid plans (no matter how great they may sound). Instead, he is seeking pilgrims who are ready to break the rules if it means being TRANSFORMED as we come into relationship with the Triune God and each other.

I have been very blessed to be part of a community that is on a journey with Him - many to random places (Nigeria, France, England, Southeast Asia, etc.). I guess I hope that with this blog and conversation we can help each other on the journey - no matter how far apart we are. I invite you all to join me (and interact with us as a community) as we move forward in this pilgrimage.

It's my prayer that I can keep this perspective in mind:

We will never settle down, and certainly not expect God to settle down, but will travel through life as a part of the tabernacle community of pilgrims who are settled only in the certainty that the Savior is in our midst. Those who have this vision of life discover the blessing of their life's meaning and purpose, which is simply to take the next step towards home. Their relationships, work, and care for others are always perceived as another step in the pilgrimage. That these relationships and workplaces are continually changing is neither inherently good or bad, but inevitable. Pilgrims are neither intimidated nor addicted to these changes, but see them only as the unexpected grace that prevents their souls from settling into anything other than communion with the one who is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.
M. Craig Barnes

May we continue to be the body of Christ to each other and encourage each other in the pilgrimage with our Savior as our center.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen ... and my goodness! GREAT start!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks good and has lots to think about. I'm looking forward to reading it often--I've bookmarked it!

Anonymous said...

hey missy
i am SO glad you are doing this. i love to hear your thoughts on things and what God is teaching you. i will be a faithful visitor to your sight!
sandy