Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Teaching Music

So as I consider homeschooling I am always looking for new ways to teach things. This October we have at least 6 birthdays we have been invited to. I don't think we can make it to all of them - but I was looking for new types of toys to give to kids. In my search for new and interesting things I came across Boomwhackers - even the name sounds like it is made for boys! It is basically a set of musical tubes that look like PVC pipes. When they are put together they can be played like a xylophone but you can also put them apart on a big musical scale and have kids play them. One child can play one note or one child can play the whole scale. They even have music books and a whole curriculum (K - 6th) to teach music with these. So, if I do homeschool we may have a musical curriculum based around these things - they just seem so useful and less likely to get destroyed by kids. We'll see. Just thought I'd put them out there.

No comments: