Saturday, October 27, 2012

Reading Scheme

I broke down and bought the 2nd edition of Latin Centered Curriculum (LCC).  I am glad I did.  I appreciate the simple (yet deep) outline that he includes in the last section of the book.  It makes homeschooling seem do-able.  As you read through his curriculum you need to remember that he expects good music to be listened to in the home, art to be appreciated and books to be read aloud as a part of life (not curricula).   Parents should model and include their children in these aspects of their life.  If you are like me and have neglected these things (except for reading) for quite a while I might suggest using Amblesides' rotation of art and music to help make sure you cover the basics.

I am still a little torn between Charlotte Masons' laying a banquet with many varied readings and the LCC idea of "multum non multa"- a few deep readings.  So I am trying to strike a balance - as usual.

After thinking about all the different types of reading to be accomplished I decided that maybe I should create categories. Simply Convivial's idea about having a listening hour (and my son's addiction to legos and listening to stories) has been part of my inspiration.  I also want to figure out how I should "rate" books as I come across them.  Are they a "must have" because they will be used as a core book later or a "nice to have" because one kid might read it at some point.  Remembering that my oldest just turned 6 - so this is all theory - I think we will try this arrangement for history and literature (and maybe some science).

Study books - these are the key books that will be core texts - we will spend a lot of time with them.  Most of the suggestions for these will be taken from LCC and Memoria Press

Read Aloud Books - these are the kinds that Andrew Campbell just expects to happen - but will require more planning than that on my part.  So, this is where we will probably bring in Ambleside's literature suggestions, books of honor from Ordo-Amoris (or here) and others that I want to really discuss with the boys.

Audio Books - There are some books that I think are just better if someone else reads them aloud (Shakespeare, Pilgrim's Progress, etc.)  Other books are also worth listening to but I don't think they need to be a focal point of our study.  Right now, Our Island Story and Susan Wise Bauer's Story of the World or M.B. Synge's world history will probably fit in here.   Fortunately, librivox can help cover a lot of these needs.  As I consider it, there will be some "required" listening (aka Simply Convivial style) and some "free" listening selections. Some stories that we have read aloud once might be made available for free time listening as well.  

Free Reading - Obviously, it will not be totally free since I will be suggesting books worth reading.  I know that popular opinion says that you should just be glad kids are reading.  However, I wasted many a summer reading Babysitter's club books and their ilk.  Now I wish I had read something with a little more substance.

So, I think that cover most of the reading that goes on in our house.  I think that this might give us a good balance and give me some guidance in what is worth purchasing and when we might need it.  I have not gotten to the point of actually going year by year to outline what might fall into these different categories.  That is still floating around in my head.  However, I now have a better idea of how we might tackle all that I'd like to read.  I am a little concerned that we will have to force the free reading around here because the oldest can read but prefers not to do so.  He is 6 so I am trying to be patient.

Anyway, if you have any additional thoughts I am open to them!

No comments: