Thursday, November 29, 2012

A few Charlotte Mason Resources

So, I guess I missed most of November.  Time is seriously flying by here at our house.   Our littlest one is teething and our oldest broke his arm.  The middle still refuses to sleep.  He is still in his bed telling himself stories.  Today I administered our first official end of the quarter "test".  I was actually really pleased (after he stopped whining) by how much he remembered.  I am really glad that I convinced him to let me record it.

Here are a few resources you might be interested in:

Language Lessons through Literature by Kathy DeVore is the language program we have been using.  It has really helped keep us on track - she has poetry, Aesop's fables, many of the literature selections from Year 1 and 2 on the Ambleside list scheduled out.  The copywork passages are linked to the literature and there are short poems for copywork as well.  There are short lessons to introduce grammar terms that are supported by the copywork selections.  She has really done a LOT of work which makes my job MUCH easier!

This past week a local town hosted the start of a "study group" on Charlotte Mason.  It was interesting and there were about 30 people there!  I think the speaker was surprised by how many attended.  She pointed us in the direction of a series of video clips about implementing Charlotte Mason (and here scroll down to get the ones that show chapter 1 etc.).   I haven't watched them yet - but I will.  The study group should also be interesting - the next meeting isn't until the end of January though.

I also found another mom who put in a lot of work to create a list of AO books and where to find them for your kindle.  I did break down earlier this year when Yesterday's Classics had a great deal and bought the bundle (apparently it is on again $49.95 for 225 books!).

Anyway, I am actually implementing curriculum around here and learning a lot as I go.  It seems that there are also people that might be coming alongside me as we figure out how to grow our kids in the Lord.  I am excited.

No comments: