Friday, October 26, 2007

Bumper Crop

Pecans for sale! Seriously, it is a little out of control here. Recently it has been beautiful outside so little man and I have enjoyed our backyard. Sometimes while he is playing I work on ridding our backyard of pecans. There are so many! Today Paul Harvey reported that there is a bumper crop of pecans this year - well my backyard proves it. While I gathered pecans today my friendly neighbor called over the fence to offer us some pecans. NO THANKS! We only have one tree - they have two. You literally can't walk without stepping on a pecan. My neighbor did offer an encouraging word - she says that they only come every other year - so no wonder we didn't have this issue last year. None of our friends want pecans because they all attended another friend's pecan picking party. It's sort of like an easter egg hunt in the fall. Anyway, all this to say - do you have any good pecan recipes?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know pecans are delicious in banana bread and on cinnamon rolls! YUMMY!!!

If you indeed have too many, you might want to consider sending some to Uncle Dave! He could use them for his Christmas gifts!

My advice to you is to shell as many as you can stand to shell and freeze or refrigerate them. They are quite expensive in the stores these days so you have some gems there. Dad and I would be happy to take some more off your hands as well. He is making a dent in the batch we brought home recently. But we love them as well!

Oh oh ... thought of a holiday recipe ... they are pecans covered in cinnamon and sugar ... I think. I have had them a couple of times and they are delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

Paul Harvey? I've been looking for his show for years. It seems that every time his website updates what channel his programed has moved to it has moved again. What time? What channel?

Anonymous said...

I'll take some off your hands when we are there for Christmas. If we don't see you maybe you could leave them with your parents. Ummm.

Jen said...

I would love as many pecans as you could give me. Too bad I am not in the states or I would literally have you ship them to me. I have a good pecan chicken recipe I will email you . Try to enjoy even though they are in mass.