Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Reading Fiction - shocking!

I am a non fiction gal through and through. However, I recently ran into the fiction books by Marilynne Robinson and have really enjoyed them. Okay - one, Gilead and I started Housekeeping yesterday. WARNING: Do not read them if you want action adventure. She is very skilled at developing characters and creating moments and images that just stick with you. (My husband would NOT like them). She is a Pulitzer Prize winner that actually has a Christian faith to speak of. These are not "Christian" books - but rather, she is a Christian who writes good books for a general audience. Her style is somewhat like Annie Dillard - noticing the small details of life. She is not a liberal Christian (like Anne Lammot) - which is REALLY surprising. Her tone is more life affirming than Anne Lammot even though she deals with weightier subjects. Although Lammot does make me laugh.

She has written two non fiction works (which I am hoping the local library will add to their collection). Hopefully I can read them soon since the reviews contend that they are thought provoking and well written.

I also like reading her because it makes me want to write better (although this blog does not necessarily reflect that desire). She makes me think about noticing and describing the little incidents of life. She brings value and a sense of sacredness to the small acts of everyday - which is pretty much all you have when you are a stay at home mom. I appreciate her for that.

So, although these do not support my effort to "read the classics" they are at least good literature. You can listen to an interview about her work "Gilead" from NPR. It is interesting to hear NPR try to deal with deep religious faith.

Update - Little man has now been asleep for 2 1/2 hours. As it nears 5 I think I'll have to get him up so that he will go to bed tonight. He needs it though - he went to sleep VERY late last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gilead was good. Have you tried The Alchemist?