Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

Welcome to a new year. I decided to do a year in review instead of a typical Christmas letter to all. I do hope that everyone enjoyed family and friends over the holidays - we certainly did!

The update:

Little man - He still doesn't walk - but he does have really good balance and can be tricked into walking on occasion. He tries to talk and has favorite words like dog, drink, milk, truck and bath. He learned "deer" over Christmas at his great grandparents house. He loves playing outside, climbing all over everything, pulling things out of cabinets, opening and closing doors (he can reach the door knobs but not turn it yet), turning pages in books and playing the piano. So, he is a growing boy. He eats his spinach and oatmeal every morning - please don't tell him that most normal people don't eat that. He had a great first birthday. It grew out of control fast (we had 12 kids under 5 years of age) but we had a great time celebrating with pancakes and curious george. We are looking forward to a great year - he will walk eventually (at least that's what people tell me) and I am sure he will have a language explosion - he really wants to talk. Actually most people think he will be RUNNING within days after walks - I tend to agree.

Hubby (daddy) - He is still employed by the public library system here in SA. Overall he enjoys it. He has been given more administrative responsibilities and he really enjoys that. His boss likes his work and continues to recommend him for position openings - however in a city system it's all about your number of years. He plans to stay with the system for a LONG time coming so his turn will come. He gets frustrated with the computer illiteracy of the general public but enjoys helping patrons who are actually doing research. He has also been busy with a guys group about once a week - they do geeky guy things. He continues to read like crazy and continues to watch all kinds of movies. On occasion he picks a few good books on tape and movies that are interesting to the rest of us. So far we have learned about the history of pirates, the race to the north pole, Harry Potter, and similar fare.

The little wife (mommy) - I am still adjusting to being a full time stay at home mom. I actually spent the summer working full time plus for a summer camp. It was fun but very tiring. In the spring I read "Genius Denied" about gifted and talented education. I also realized that my money towards education from VISTA was about to expire. So I have been taking Internet courses on gifted education over the summer and fall. I have learned a lot - even though I don't have a teaching certificate. After this summer I realized that I WILL NEVER run a child care center (one of my former dreams). So instead my friends and I started a montessori preschool co-op. We had about 12 -1 4 kids between 8 months and 4 years twice a week. It has been fun and I think helpful to the moms/ dads and kids. We will have two "semesters" this spring. We've learned a lot and look forward to what is to come.
I have also found a hobby. I learned how to make quilts this fall and made quite a few for family and friends for Christmas. I have also taking up crocheting after a friend introduced it to me. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree as I realize most of my family has taught at one point and many of them are pretty skilled with needle and thread.
We continue to stay busy at church. Our pastor recently left to accept an exciting opportunity in North Carolina - but it's been awesome to see our church community come together in new ways. We also are busy with a home group. We now meet at our house so once a week we have over 12 adults and 7 children under age 4 in our house. We are still trying to figure out how to meet everyone's needs - but it is fun to do life together. Missy is part of a women's group that has been studying Cloud and Townsend books about spiritual growth and community. Peter is part of a geeky guys group and enjoys hanging out with them. He used to be the only married guy but now the ratio is changing (two were married this year!).
So these are the high points of our year. We are excited about the year to come, looking forward to lots of new life (many of our family and friends are expecting) and new adventure. When I remember I try to post happenings here and we'd love for you to keep in touch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! Sorry we missed you while we were in Texas. We were glad your mom could come to Tabitha's baptism. It was good to see her.

Check out Beverly J.'s blog, she is starting a new one for scrapbooking, don't know if you scrabook but sounds like something you would like.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I was just wondering how your montessori preschool co-op works. I've been reading about montessori and looking for any information i can get. What is the co-op part.. is it at your houses?.. does each family take part in planning/purchasing supplies?

thanks for any feedback!
tara floor
trfloor@yahoo.com