Friday, June 13, 2008

Awww to AHHH!

This morning little man slept in (until 6:30). While we played in his room he took his stuffed English bulldog (who he is kind of bonding with) and gave him a hug and a kiss. I was impressed - this is the most he has ever "played" with a stuffed animal. Then he proceeded to lie it down on the pillow in his big bed. Next he put both of his blankets over the dog (with the dog's head sticking out on the pillow). He looked around and found his empty sippy cup of milk. He then stuck the sippy cup near the dogs face. It was VERY cute. I guess our bed time routine is sticking with him! AWWW!

This afternoon was the AHHH moment. We had been playing outside for a while (yes it was VERY hot). He was playing in the pool and there was an unwelcome guest hanging out there. One time this little pest got near to the little guy - but when I told my son to stop moving - he actually did and the pest left him alone. I thought we were in the clear. Then I heard little guy sort of yelp and back away (he rarely complains). I knew that a BEE had gotten him! So I rushed him inside (dripping wet) and tried to remember what my first aid lessons. They totally failed me. Then I tried the Internet - it wasn't working either. Called my hubby - no answer. Tried my parents - they were in the middle of a storm but they turned back on their computers to check and see what I should do.

The good news - Little guy was totally fine. He was trying to figure out what the hub-bub was about. He actually wanted to get up and start playing while the stinger was still in him. He was very chill during the "doctoring"- ice and a baking soda/water paste - thanks mom and dad.

The bad news - I think the cure was almost as bad as the bite - we gave him some Benadryl just in case. He barely made it through dinner - his little eyelids were so heavy! (He only had a 45 minute nap today - instead of his 2 -3 hour one - so that could have something to do with it too).
So, apparently bee stings are just a minor inconvenience for him which is GREAT! I did have a student have a serious (call 911) reaction to a fire ant bite (I missed part of a friends wedding as a result - but she was fine which is VERY good). Apparently a serious reaction to fire ants is more common in Asian people - two people on campus in one week had to go to the ER because of this issue. So it's been quite a day - and I stayed up WAY too late.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you happen to take a photo of either event? Thanks for relating these stories. Makes LD grandparents VERY happy to hear about their grandson's adventures in growing up!