Friday, June 06, 2008

Goals . . . update

Well I finished reading Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson. It was not as upbeat as Gilead but it was still a good read. At times her water imagery got to be a little much - it was also hard to concentrate when the movie Semi-Pro (Will Farrell) was playing in the background. I have to agree with the reviewer who said that this one will not go down as one of the best comidies ever.
So now I have to choose another book to read - I haven't figured out what will come next. Actually, I do want to read Five Little Pepper's and How they Grew (going to wikipedia I learned it's a series - we'll have to see about this). I did look at the "scope and sequence" of classical readings on the Well Trained Mind website. So maybe I will read some of those. Talking about history and the Well Trained Mind is another topic altogether.

Another goal was to work on my storytelling ability. I am glad to report that I now try to tell little man stories while we are at the park swinging. So far I have told Goldilocks and the Three Bears and The Little Red Hen. Today I tried to tell The Three Little Pigs but the influx of kindergarten students was much more interesting than my story. Alas, we will tell it another day when there are fewer distractions. He LOVES playing with big kids - these happened to be older kids from the local school for the deaf - but they all had a great time. I do have a few faiury tale books checked out to refresh my memory - so I am adding to my collection to tell.

I have started reading more about SWR and homeschooling curriculum in general. I think I am going to have to really hype myself up to get into SWR. I did listen to the phonogram CD this morning so I am beginning to learn the 70 phonograms and how they are spelled. Even little guy was trying to repeat some of the sounds he heard - this could be a good way to help him learn. My husband kids me because I know the lyrics to the MOST random songs - maybe the little guy has my ability to remember random stuff like that.

I guess another goal I should work on is creating and planning meals. I have been REALLY bad about it this week. Heck - tonight I spent 3 hours helping cook for a fundraiser but I didn't really have dinner myself. I am still making bread from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I really like it. My mom keeps sending me Pioneer Woman recipes - I should actually try them, they look great. My thought was to make a different kind of pasta salad at the beginning of the week and eat off that throughout adding different meats and sides -but that hasn't happened. The last pasta or potato salad I made was in March!

Back to old goals - I think we did go to the park 3 or 4 times this week. Not on a schedule yet - but we will get there. Little guy really likes the park - he also apparently loves our best friend's backyard - he played out there for about 2 1/2 hours today and was REALLY mad when we made him come in - covered in dirt and left over spaghetti sauce from dinner.

I also need to work on going to bed at a decent hour - so I will sign off now and try to pull myself away from the Internet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Always looking for another comfort food recipe, I tried Pioneer Woman's apricot bars. Oh my! So easy to make and really good!!! Actually, one could use any kind of fruit preserves to make these bars. The apricot preserves were so sweet that I would recommend cutting the square pan into 5x5 squares instead of the normal 4x4! But GOOO!!!

And ... once little ones learn NOT to lick their fingers while mixing recipes by hand, they can help to make the dough. This dough is most easily mixed with one's hands ... especially when one doesn't own the proper tool for this job! Don't even know what it is called ... pie crust mixer?!? Who cares ... fingers are still easier!!!

As far as going to bed at a decent hour ... I am afraid you have caught that internet illness from your parents who also spend way too much time on computers! We certainly appreciate the fact that you are back to blogging though and happy to hear that little man is SO active. He can wait to catch that internet bug later in life! We know he likes computers but you guys are wonderful to get him outside and active ... even in the incredibly hot Texas summers!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the Pepper's books in a long time. I think you would enjoy them especially if you like Little Women. Another series I just found are the Blossom Street books by Debbie Macomber.
Good luck with the going to bed earlier.

We didn't make it to the park very much this week because Oregon weather thinks it's still winter and it rained all week. If it's just cloudy we go but not in the rain. Hopefully we can go more this week. At least you are getting outside to play. Enjoy!