Sunday, July 06, 2008

Bad mom moment

Today we arrived home from evening church to discover a small gecko lizard in a dish we had out (no food - just a dish). That served as a learning moment for the boy and he liked the lizard. I think while we were returning it to nature, another little pest entered our home. Little guy was very hungry so he sat happily in the big chair waiting while I made spaghetti. At one point he started saying bug and sort of pointing to the ground. This and the word "no" are the two words he seems to have down pat. However, I didn't see any bugs so I just dismissed it. There was a ball nearby - maybe he was talking about that.

Well when I brought him his food I noticed that there was indeed a bug - a mosquito. I saw one little bite and didn't think much more of it. Well, as we were putting him into his bath I realized the bug had gone to town. He had a total of 9 mosquito bites all up and down his leg. I felt HORRIBLE. He had tried to tell me and I dismissed it.

I should have known. Earlier this week he was pointing into the bathroom saying bug and I thought he was telling me that's where we flush the bugs down the toilet (because he has done that before). Well, he kept on saying it so I finally got up to see what was happening. Sure enough there was a dead bug right there. I am actually surprised that he didn't go find a shoe for me - often he will bring a shoe to you when he sees a bug.

Needless to say, in the future I will heed his warnings about bugs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Grandma is hoping the benadryl was nearby after the bath. Remember warm compresses will help with the bug bites if the benadryl doesn't nip it in the bud. I don't think this qualifies you as bad mom either. However, isn't it amazing how smart these young ones are? If only we could understand what they are trying to tell us when they are so young and just learning how to effectively communicate with otherwise occupied adults!!!

Anonymous said...

Not a bad mom, just a busy mom who was trying to get some dinner made for a hungry guy. We all have these moments when we wish we had paid a bit more attention to what our little ones with limited vocabularies are trying to tell us. They are so smart and observant, they teach us to slow down and look around us. Hope he is feeling okay.