Monday, September 10, 2007

Another Quick resource

I have been looking through Charlotte Mason and other lists of "books you should read" to your little ones. On this list was a series of books that had fairytales from around the world. Well as I researched it further I found a website that has all of the fairytales on it! So, if you are looking for fairytales or stories from other cultures this is a great resource. I think I already posted a site that had many of Aesops' fables on it.

My women's group has started reading Safe People by Cloud and Townsend (our favorite writers). Today we talked about character discernment. One of the reasons people often recommend reading fairy tales and the fables are because they help kids learn more about good and evil if the adults with them can break it down to a level they can understand. Obviously the traits are a little overstated in these stories - but they can help children begin to grasp the concepts. Of course, you really can't beat the Bible for great stories of messed up relationships!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. It looks very interesting and helpful when trying to find stories. While student teaching I did a thematic unit on Jack and the Beanstalk. I now an extensive collection of variations of Jack and the Beanstalk, some even from other countries. My brother Ted translated the Russian one for me. Cinderella and The Three Little Pigs are others that make for good units. With the Three Little Pigs you can read the story from the wolf's point of view. Comparing differnt versions is fun and interesting.