Friday, April 20, 2007

The super whizzer

This week I have twice found my little one covered in pee pellets in the morning. I am not sure what else to call them - basically his disposable diaper has exploded and let out little styrofoam like peanuts that have similar properties to cornstarch and water. They are at once liquid and solid. VERY ODD!

I am not sure what causes these explosions. It could be that he simply is a super whizzer and his diaper can't contain it all. This diaper is supposed to be appropriate for someone much heavier than he is though. The other culprit could be a common male tendency, crotch scratching. At his young age he has instinctivly started doing this. So it's possible that he is putting pressure on his diaper that is helping it to explode. I'm not really sure how that would work - but I will put it forward as a theory.

He sleeps well through the night and I would prefer not to wake him up to change his diaper. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Grandfather Cleveland's diaper did this once. I had absolutely NO idea what was going on! You seem to have caught on better than me from the get go.

How about putting the polartec diaper covers over the disposable diaper overnight to possible prevent this accident from happening? No need to worry about how large this will turn out to be since it is summer now and there is no need to put pants on the boy. However, that still might be a little hot for summer. Guess Grandma better get to making those PUL diaper covers! They won't be made until the first part of May. Way behind in my other obligations at the moment ... it being month end and all ...

Anonymous said...

I think it also has to do with the diaper material. I have occassionaly noticed a few in Tabitha's diapers. Even if diapers aren't really wet. I don't remember this happening with Meghan's diapers. I know that the diapers have changed in the two short years between them. I still find some of Meghan's old ones stuffed in strange places like under the front seat of the car or in the back of her closet and the material is different. You might call the diaper company and ask or check out their website. I would be interested in what you learn.

Anonymous said...

You might also try some nighttime disposables, or try going up a size just for nighttime. That seemed to work for us.