Friday, January 19, 2007

Judgement vs. Evaluation

So I am continuing to think about the role of knowledge in our lives. I guess my problem is that normally I use my knowledge to be self sufficient and try to do things my own way. This part of a verse from Sara Groves Conversation album - The Word - sums it up pretty well:
I've done every devotional, been every place emotional
trying to hear a new word from God, and I think it's very odd
That while I attempt to help myself my bible sits upon the shelf
With every promise I could ever need
I am certainly not against thinking things through, challenging, questioning, wondering, etc. In fact, I am pretty frightened by those who don't seem to think and question. I guess my concern comes in when I start thinking that there isn't a standard or that I am my own standard (help me now!). I am now reading "How People Grow" by Cloud and Townsend. I am reading this with a group but we haven't met yet because of the ice storm. It's a fabulous book (like most of their work is).

What struck me last night was their distinction between playing the judge and being an evaluator. I have always wondered how we weren't supposed to judge, but yet we do have to be discriminating and thoughtful to some extent. Their definition makes sense and is Biblical.

When we judge we:
1. place ourselves above another as if we were his or her God
2. condemn another
3. create the standard for another.

So how is this different from evaluation. In evaluation we:
1. Identify with the other and realize that we are all messed up
2. do not condemn the person using guilt, shame, or wrath (see #1 about identifying with them)
3. do not make up the standard - we bow to God's standard and repent to Him

So, good evaluation involves humility, forgiveness and correction (pp. 53-54). Judgement obviously would mean the opposite pride, holding grudges and doing things our way.

Wowsers! The part that struck me was creating standards for another. I have lots of standards for myself and others that really aren't God's. It can really wear you out! This is something I think I will be working on in that small group I mentioned. Setting different standards isn't new though - if you think about it this habit started in Eden. God told Eve not to eat the fruit of the tree, when she talked with the serpent she added that they shouldn't touch the fruit either. Setting standards that aren't His. As the end of "The Word" by Sara Groves says:
I think it's time we rediscover all the ground that we have covered
Like 'seek ye first,' what a verse
We are pressed but not crushed, perplexed but don't despair
We are persecuted but never abandoned
We are no longer slaves, we are daughters and sons
And when we are weak, we are very strong
And neither death, nor life, nor present, nor future, nor depth, nor height
Can keep us from the love of Christ
And the Word I need is the word that was
He put on flesh to dwell with us
In the beginning The Word was, The Word is and The Word will be
In my church and personal life I think God is calling me into a refresher course about who He really is. I guess that means I have to give up making my own rules.

No comments: