Sunday, January 21, 2007

Resisting a rest

He continues to "AHHH" in his bedroom. It's not a cry - he's talking to himself and trying to keep himself awake. (Actually Dad just said "It sounds like he's saying Dad"). Our little one no longer cries to stay awake (normally)- which is nice, but he does talk to keep himself awake. He's been in there talking for close to 20 minutes now - he is resisting a rest. I wish I could say that he is the only one that does that. When you have a newborn they always say that mom should rest when baby rests - well I was horrible at that. I always found little tasks to keep me busy. At night, it's the same way. I will stay up to watch a Seinfeld episode I've already seen 4 times instead of go to sleep sometimes. I have also been known to stay up way to late searching for things on the Internet. Why do I resist a rest?

It's funny, God has a lot to say about rest. Actually, the fact that we can rest is a key feature of being God's children. One of the more often quoted verses says "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28). Well, I hate to say it, but I resist that rest too. I do not bring my burdens to Him, instead I choose to carry them on my own. Even God rested after all of his good work. Keeping the Sabbath is a command (not a suggestion). I guess if I really trusted who God says He is, then I wouldn't resist rest so much. I think my son resists because he wants to continue to be in relationship with us (at least that's what the books say). I resist because I don't trust the relationship - I need to do it on my own, God can't provide so I better do it for myself. Well, that is not a very faithful life and in the end you rest - but not in peace, rather out of sheer exhaustion.

So, I am going to try to practice resting a little more. God is a good provider and He commands me to rest because he knows what's good for me. Just like our little one, as parents we need to protect and make sure he gets enough rest. Sometimes he will resist - but it's our job to help him learn that rest is good for him. He finally did fall asleep and he looks VERY peaceful and cute when he rests. I imagine God says the same about us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am loving the title of this post!!!

Unknown said...

Did you see Bev J's blog post about this topic?!?