Monday, January 15, 2007

Who are my neighbors?

We live in a very interesting neighborhood. It was built in the early 1950's and some of our neighbors have brought up their families here and are now in their 70's and 80's. At the end of the block, in the sidewalk, you can see where some children wrote the year in the cement - 1953. So we live in a little piece of post world war II history - we were the suburbs.

While that's interesting, the part I like about our neighborhood is what I can see from my front yard. From my front yard I can see the mansion that is a block over, the city park (that used to be a YMCA), regular apartments and I think some section 8 (government) low income apartments, a nursing home and a Mormon church. This is in addition to just the normal houses on our block. I still haven't figured out why there is a big mansion on the corner with a nice fence around it. It seems very out of place there. I actually hadn't realized how big it was until just recently and it's right across from the government housing. Very odd. One reason I wanted to live in this neighborhood was the great playground, pool and basketball court nearby. In the fall we watched lots of little kids practice football on the field and during most of the year there is a pretty active adult night basketball league on the outdoor courts. I also like having the nursing home near. I have visions of us making cards and visiting with the people there. I wonder who lives in the government housing and I wonder if it actually is government housing (I tried to look it up but wasn't very successful). The Mormon church is fascinating to me and they have quite a large congregation it seems (although I can't think of any Mormons that I know in San Antonio) - yesterday they were still going strong when we got home from church at 2 pm.

So hopefully we'll get to know all of our neighbors a little bit. I guess that means I should get out of my house and at least walk around the block every once in a while.

No comments: