Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The enneagram again

Last night at women's group we started talking about the enneagram again. This is a personality typology that has multiple layers and is VERY insightful. The enneagram identifies nine different types. The greatest thing about the enneagram is that it recognizes that we are all on a journey and it makes room for a person to grow (or to shrink back). Actually, the whole point is to grow and become less like your typical self and more like a healthy you (is that too much psychobabble?). Yesterday, my friends recommended an enneagram site I hadn't seen before. I like this site because it tells you the basics of how to get along with different types of people, what they value and even what they might have been like as children. Reading my type and my husbands type was helpful. If I start feeling to overwhelmed or the need to control - I now recognize that I need to resist that and trust that God is in control and not everything needs to be perfect. Likewise, as I read over my husbands it reminded me again how important it is for him to have his space and think about things. His type is typically introverted - so the big party we had this weekend was fun - but also taxing - on him. It is a stretch for him to engage in the parties that I love.

So, once again I recommend that you consider how you have been created and how to submit and use who you are to God's glory. There is no one "right" type - the point is that we are all uniquely created and should enjoy the diversity God has given us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beverly Jacobson has an interesting personality test web page on her blog. I think you would be interested in it.