Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Laying down your life

Today is Ash Wednesday for those of you that are part of a liturgical church it marks the beginning of Lent - the season where you typically give something up. My little one and I went to Ash Wednesday services at our Lutheran church (as our Pastor said this is the first year we've celebrated Ash Wednesday in the 5 years our church has been in existence). We had special guests tonight "Captive Free" a traveling youth band that shares alternative worship and God's word with Lutheran congregations throughout the US. The sermon was given by one of the members and it was good. He made the point that spending six weeks focusing on our sin was probably not as enlightening as spending that time looking towards the cross and who Jesus is in the midst of us. As he says it only takes about six seconds for us to realize that this world falls short - that's not a news flash - what we need is a savior who helps us when we do fall short.

The real sermon came before we even left our driveway though. As we were leaving a dad and his daughter were walking across the street from us. When I pulled out of the driveway I noticed that the dad's head was shaved - not too odd - although he seemed fairly young. But then I looked over and noticed that the girl, who looked to be about nine, also had a bald head. Her dad was carrying her pink hat. Now that's a dad who is being asked to really lay down all he has - his bald head is just the beginning of what he is putting on the line for his little girl. His bald head is a testament that he is in it with her ALL THE WAY. That little girl is blessed to have a dad who lays it down for his little girl. I am so thankful that we have a heavenly Father who does the same for us - not just in word, but in deed. This Lent I pray that we draw nearer to the one who laid it all down for us. May we accept His challenge to take up His cross and walk in His ways. Not just as a matter of obedience (which it is) but as a an act of deep love because he first loved us. I hope that if we choose to give something up this Lent that it will be an outward experssion of something much deeper like that Dad's bald head.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Let me try again ...

I guess I didn't pass along the message that I always thought it was better to try to take up something rather than give up something. I still fall FAR short on these efforts though. I second your prayer that we accept His challenge to take up His cross and walk in His ways! Happy Lent!!!