Thursday, February 01, 2007

Thinking Hats

Recently I have returned to learning about facilitation. I seem to end up doing a lot of facilitation (including an upcoming meeting at church). I was realizing that out of the 4 jobs I've had - only one was just for one organizaiton. Every other job I've had I was working for at least 2 entities and sometimes up to 3 or 4 at a time. I am not sure why this is - maybe it comes back to me being the connector. I actually enjoy the challenge - but not the politics. Most of the time the organizations didn't have a great relationship with each other - I was the link.

Anyway, I have been researching different ways to help facilitate groups and I came upon Edward De Bono's six hat theory. It's actually a great way to analyze a problem from a variety of perspectives. I actually found this idea through Brandy Agerbeck who does graphic facilitation. (the chart on that page is very cool - if you make it bigger and roll over it you can see all the different ways to help facilitate a group - AWESOME!) I enjoyed looking through all of her work. I was even inspired by the graphic facilitation website to learn more about drawing and came upon Ed Emberly's drawing books (thanks to the library I checked out 4 or 5). Last night as I watched I Love Huckabees (a VERY bad movie) I practiced drawing like Ed. Hey, I can draw - who knew?

Back to the point - six hats. So, I think this is even a good way to help children look at problem solving (I did find a kids graphic but it wasn't all that impressive). I just thought I would offer this up. I have found a lot of other cool things but we'll save some for another time. I know this seems sort of disconnected - but this is how my mind wanders . . . I mean works.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes indeedy ... it is how your mind works! Was sometimes challenging to me as your mother. Dad was always better at listening to your random thoughts and ideas. But we love you anyways!!! TFS!!!!!