Thursday, February 01, 2007

If you can't beat 'em . . .

This past week my husband has been sick. So, I have let him do what he wants - which is nothing - but sit around and watch movies and listen to the latest Modern Scholars tapes he checked out. This time he has "From Here to Infinity: An Exploration of Science Fiction Literature" by Michael D.C. Drout of Wheaton College. This same professor did the fantasy overview that he listened to a few months ago. Anyway, since it is playing in my living room it is difficult to ignore. I have to admit that I actually enjoyed it!

I had no idea that science fiction dealt with so many social issues and philosophical questions. This tape series really looks at the questions posed by science fiction. I think that we might be missing the boat by dismissing fantasy and science fiction literature. So, I am not totally converted but there are some books that I might try reading. (My husband had me type out the whole bibliography so that he can read them all!) So I encourage you to consider reading some science fiction. Try some Octavia Butler or Neal Stephenson. Granted, I haven't read these yet - but he highly recommends them.

So if you can't beat 'em - join 'em. I'm not D&D geeky yet. I'm not sure I will ever be - but I'm getting closer!

No comments: