Friday, February 02, 2007

Opposites Attract

I read almost only non fiction, my husband reads just about anything. I am a doer, my husband is a thinker. I am an extrovert, my husband is an introvert. People were shocked when we started dating - but somehow we fit together well. I want to discuss this last pair of ideas. Here is a quick look at the difference (as found in the Myers Briggs test):

Extroverts vs. Introverts (EI)

First two mutually exclusive patterns tell where you prefer to get energized. If you are stimulated by the environment, you are an Extrovert (E). This personality type likes to be more social, expressive and outward.

However, if you are stimulated by your inner imaginations, thoughts and ideas, you will be classified as an introvert (I). This psychological type prefers solitude, quietness and concentration over gatherings.

As I was looking for a link for Neal Stephenson (the last post) I found a page that he wrote and encouraged all of us extroverts to read an Atlantic Monthly article "Caring for your Introvert". My husband has tried to encourage me to study this in the past. He kindly got me the book The Hidden Gifts of the Introverted Child. He was trying to prepare me for the fact that our child could be an introvert. I have to say, I did not read the whole book, but what I did read was very interesting. Basically, introverts need time to think through things, sleep on it, etc. Their brain patterns are literally different than an extroverts! So, I am learning to give my hubby some room to think - maybe if I read the whole book I would have more insight into his world.

So, I want to pay tribute to those who are introverts. I am an extrovert and I don't totally understand the introverts in my life - but I am trying to learn. As one of my friends says - people are like sugar to me - they give me energy. I do appreciate that my husband tries to support my extroversion and will go along and be social with me. However, I will try to consider how to better care for my introvert.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If that is the definition of an introvert, there are other introverts in your family. Dad

Anonymous said...

I would say quite a few of us Jacobson's are introverts.