Monday, March 19, 2007

Cross Texas Adventure

I am a planner. Even for "vacation" we always had a plan and schedule to maintain (even loosely). However, my husbands family doesn't really plan and this past week his mom was on vacation visiting us. I am not used to driving long distances, trying lots of new things or really having "free time". In part because many of my previous jobs were so overwhelming that even most holidays I didn't really get off - much less other days during the year. So, I am still adjusting to the concept of "free time". Because my husband had a few days off we ended up traveling quite a ways. In fact, in the 14 months we've owned our vehicle we have driven it about 8,000 miles - in the past week we added another 1,000 miles!!!

It was fun to be spontaneous and try new things (except when the little one did not really like the hotel room). Actually, my mother in law normally has a plan - she just doesn't really tell everyone exactly what it is - so for us it is an adventure. We went to a great steakhouse in the middle of nowhere - Lowake - Texas. We saw the graves of my husbands' ancestors and the house where he used to visit his family when he was little. We checked out a lake that I haven't been to before and ate at TONS of different restaurants. My son was actually pretty patient with all of this change (of course yesterday he also took a 3 1/2 hour nap - I think he was WORN out!)

So I am realizing that sometimes it's okay to go on an adventure, not quite know the plan and just enjoy the journey. So maybe we will go on more car trips in the future - we'll see.

No comments: