Saturday, March 10, 2007

The good in education!

Well after spending this week reading about how we shortchange our brightest students because of the dumbing down process in schools I was encouraged to find a little ray of hope. I am now on many random newsletter lists and one of them is for the Foundation Center job postings (to learn more about jobs I will never have). One of these postings was for a Talent Developer for Citizen Schools. (If you want to know how to run an after school program right watch their slide show at the bottom of their volunteer page). I had never heard of this program but it sounded intriguing. WOW! Have they got their act together. This is an incredible program for middle school students that engages college students, adult professionals and the community in providing structured and meaningful opportunities for youth. They really know their stuff. Unfortunately they are only in Houston and Austin right now - but maybe they will expand to San Antonio. We need them.
Recently I have been going to the local library in the late afternoon. This particular library is right next to a middle school and serves as the afternoon hang out spot. Almost every time I've been there at least 20 to 30 kids are hanging out. The non profit I volunteer with actually offers an afterschool program for kids from this middle school but it can only accept so many students. So, each time I go I am struck by what a great opportunity there is to build something for and with these kids. However, I am not really in a position to do that right now.
So if you have a Citizen School in your area I encourage you to get involved, share your skills and time and make a difference in the life of a middle school student. They need adults that give them a future orientation and the skills to get there. Citizen Schools is very strategic in their development and have chosen to start with states that impact educational decisions the most - Texas, California, Massachusetts, New Jersey and North Carolina. I have not seen them in action, but their theory and business model is on target so I imagine they produce a good product. I will stop gushing - it's just exciting when you see something that actually can make a difference.

No comments: