Saturday, March 17, 2007

How does your garden grow?

Hopefully like the dandelions! Our backyard came equipped with a very nice little raised bed for vegetables. I figured we should take advantage of this. So, while my mother in law is visiting (she actually has a green thumb) I decided we should start a vegetable garden of our own. Yesterday we bought all the stuff (herbs, squash, peas, pumpkins, tomatoes, peppers and even some grapes!). Then we started preparing the soil. It turns out that our little vegetable garden had lots of weeds but also very good soil. We also upset quite a few rolly pollys. Today we will plant our plants.

As regards the dandelions, my husband says that he is going to attack them on Monday. They are very lush (especially after our recent rain). So, we'll see. This little garden is an experiment because I normally have a brown thumb. I figure this is worth a try though and hopefully next year my little one can at least dig in the dirt with me a little bit.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fear not! Your garden genes aren't totally brown! Your Dad's side of the family subsisted on their garden ... so maybe success is in your gardening future!!!

Anonymous said...

Did you know you can use young dandelion leaves as salad greens? Big ones get bitter, though, but if you can't get them all out of the ground, try harvesting them!

Pilgrim said...

My hubbie says that we are not red neck or poor enough to need to eat dandelions. However, he did mention that we could try to make Dandelion wine - I don't think that will be happening. He did do a great job hacking them all down though. It looks like a totally different yard out there.