Friday, March 23, 2007

Finding a good Bible story

My husband and I are a little leery of lots of toddler and children's Bibles. In part because they often fail to tell the whole story. They tend to leave out sin and other key things that happen in the Bible. They often tell the story of Noah but don't really explain why God felt it necessary to flood the whole earth. So I have been on the lookout for books that tell the whole story. Right now I am reading The Rhyme Bible Storybook. We are now reading through it for the 3rd or 4th time. I like it because it does rhyme which is fun and it gets at the point of the story pretty well. It doesn't really talk about sin or anything like that - but he's also only 6 months old.

Eventually we will move into other Bible storybooks and I have a few candidates. One was brought to my attention by a cousin. Actually it's series of books and tape recordings called A Visit with Mrs. G. The website leaves a lot to be desired but the materials are quality (according to my cousin - who is a reliable source). She says that the stories are very close to what is found in the Bible - always a plus.

The other resource I found at a friend's house. It is the Alice in Bibleland series. I had my doubts because it sounds pretty cheesy. However, I flipped through their copy of Jonah. I was pleasantly suprised to see that it did not end when Jonah decides to go to Ninevah (like most stories) instead it finishes the story and talks about Jonah basically pouting because God was saving people. Very few people ever hear the end of the story and this children's book was telling the whole thing. So, although it may sound hokey I think this series has something going for it too.

The other comment I'll make is that it might be worthwhile to try and buy books through ebay. A collection of "Alice in Bibleland" is a lot cheaper on ebay than at your local store. So there are a few of my thoughts about that. Although if you check out Amazon it seems like they are trying to sell these books for a cent + shipping ($3.49) - so I'm not sure what that's all about.

No comments: