Tuesday, March 06, 2007

In praise of cloth diapers

We have been using cloth diapers for a few weeks now. My mom and aunt made them and they are a hybrid version. The diaper "inner" is made of flannel and then it has a pocket where you stick in whatever you want to absorb all the stuff. I typically use microfiber covered with flannel. This diaper then goes in either a wool cover (knitted by my aunt) or a polarfleece cover. At night I typically use the polarfleece diaper.

This morning as I went to get my son (after he had been awake for close the 2 1/2 hours over the course of the night) I was greeted by a big smile and the smell of poo. I was shocked when I opened the diaper and NOTHING had leaked out. It was by far one of the messiest diapers he has had so far. I know that the disposable diapers would never have stood up to this flood. I find it's much easier to wash the diapers which are supposed to be messy instead of the clothes, the sheets, etc. Yeah for cloth diapers!

I did put him back in bed soon after eating this morning (he looked tired and I was tired). He whined - but no real crying. I remembered what the Healthy Sleep Habits book said and I decided not to go in there for an hour. There was a story in there about a lady who waited 59 minutes and right at that time her son fell asleep. Well that was us this morning. Had I gone in one minute early he wouldn't have been asleep yet. He is persistent. So I imagine his trouble last night was his tummy - we kind of knew he had been "saving up". Hopefully he will sleep well today now that some of his digestive troubles have passed. I actually need to rest while I can too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

SO glad they are working out for you! And so glad Double A's stomach trouble finally worked out as well!!!

Anonymous said...

HOpe A is sleeping better. You probably already know that rice cereal can cause constipation in some babies. Moms in The New Moms group and the Breast feeding support group suggested trying a little bit of prune juice or giving some fruit like pears.

Also, massaging the stomach using the strokes for colicy babies helps. Our infant massage instructor used the "I L(ove) U" strokes on her kids even herself. YOu might try these after his bath next time he seems to be "saving up."